Sunday, January 22, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter

When I was little, I always wanted to do whatever my Mom was doing. I was lucky in that my Mom worked from home as a bookkeeper until I was in grade 7. I am not sure how lucky she thought it was, but I always wanted to 'help'. As I got older, I worked summers with her (and my Dad) and followed on in the financial (and automotive) footsteps. My need to be just like my Mom extended into her hobbies as well. When she started plastic canvas, I wanted to do it. Ceramics? I must have driven her crazy. But when I absolutely, positively fell in love was when my Mom took a Sampler Quilt Class. I was 19 and hooked. When I moved to Ontario after university my Mom bought me my first sewing machine as an apartment warming present. And I signed up for my own Sampler quilt class. (Just in case you were wondering...14 years later and it isn't completed yet either.)

My daughter is 8 and just like me when I was little. She loves to help and is fascinated by fabric and quilting. One day while we were fabric shopping at Sew Have Fun, she saw Edith was teaching a sewing class to two little girls. They were making bathingsuit cover ups!!! Seriously? I find flannel frightening! 8 year olds thankfully have no fear. So once a week, off she goes! She has made shorts (below), a denim jumper, a fantastic backpack, a blankie for her teddy bear, and placemats for me and her baby brother. It is just incredible to watch! The most spectacular thing is how she designs her projects. Her creativity is absolutely amazing! I just can't wait to see what she comes up with next!


Happy Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment