My kids are C-R-A-Z-Y busy during the school year. Now, the school year has ended and it is time for me to squeeze in some quilting time. Yes, I realize I am the opposite of every other quilter on the planet. What can I say? I am the only quilter I know who dislikes yard work. I haven't been completely out of practice though. My Exclamation! quilt just arrived back from the long arm. Thanks Rhonda! Time to bind before this lovely quilt gets raffled off!
I am currently taking a few minutes to blog while I am washing beautiful red fabric for the Canadian Maple quilt from Patrick Lose Studios I am about to start. But first, I need to patiently wait for the dryer!!
Happy Canada Day! And happy sewing.
Friday, January 10, 2014
My last post, committing to a 6 month destashing was so fast, I didn't even share the pledge or my UFO list! What can I say. I didn't want to give myself a chance to change my mind. Here it is from Making Rebecca Lynne. I have made an adjustment (or two) to suit my habit a little bit.
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.(especially feeding my cardinal and red fabric fetish)
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing.(to pay for my new sewing machine)
- Destash the fabrics (and UFOs) that I realize I am never going to use/finish
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too. HOWEVER, since I have way too many magazines and notions, minimize any purchases.
There is a little hitch in my plans. My third baby (aka my Bernina 230) could use a little TLC. Tomorrow it heads to the shop for a good cleaning. Until it comes back, I think my rotary cutter and I will be great friends! I can get prepared for my spring retreat!! Example #1 is a lot of 10" blocks (about 160ish) for Guild cuddle quilts. Part of my fabric binge in the last week of 2013. Rag quilts, here I come! At least once my machine is feeling better.
Friday, January 3, 2014
My name is Diane and I am a Fabriholic.
I had read Rebecca Lynne's post already and hadn't taken the bait. But with the extension today I knew I simply had to get my act together. I spent time today cutting that beautiful flannel into 10 inch squares to make cuddle quilts I have talked about for ages. I then cut the first month of my Border Creek Station Mystery Quilt. Notice how none of these were on my January list :) Or on any UFO list! The point is, I have a fabric problem and I am using this challenge as an opportunity. Now, to put my UFO list together!!